Affordable transit systems understand their roles as community infrastructure. Transit isn’t an amenity, it’s a necessity.
• Is demonstrably less expensive than private vehicle use.
• Becomes less expensive for frequent users.
• Recognizes that low-income individuals frequently make shorter transit trips and uses fare policies such as distance-based fares to make transit more affordable and equitable.
• Advocates for low-income and disadvantaged users.
• Makes customer service available beyond the 9am-5pm/Monday-Friday/English-only box.